This charter establishes a set of principles as a guide for GOG members to facilitate our mission to provide comfort care items to those in need within the Canberra Health network; to provide personalised stitching for wellness programs to the Canberra community; and to offer a safe and inclusive space for members to express their creativity; volunteer their time and resources; and develop positive relationships within the community. GOG members display behaviour that shows integrity, kindness and compassion.
‘Providing warmth and comfort for those in need, one stitch at a time.’
• To bring comfort to people in need in the Canberra Health Services and within the Canberra Health network in the form of handcrafted comfort care items.
• To connect people across the Canberra community through a culture of inclusion and acceptance of diversity while creating handcrafted comfort care items.
• To provide craft related wellbeing programs for the Canberra Health Services, community groups, schools, government agencies and the private sector across Canberra.
• To connect with complementary charity organisations for the benefit of the Canberra community.
• provide a safe and inclusive environment for its members to gather and create hand crafted comfort care items for the Canberra Health Services
•support and uphold diversity and inclusivity within the GOG community (e.g. racial, gender or religious)
• provide an opportunity for members to connect, learn new skills, and express their creativity at their own pace
• where possible, provide resources (yarn, tools and materials) for members to create handcrafted items for comfort care
• distribute the goods created by members to maximise their impact and benefit for the wellbeing of patients, family and staff within the Canberra Health Services system
• support and network with other charities where possible and appropriate
• establish and support enrichment programs in collaboration with schools and other community organisations
• through the volunteer coordinator within the Canberra Health Network, provide a personalised service for in-patients and their family members.
Members of GOG will:
• freely express their creativity so as to foster diversity and choice (‘Make what you love, and someone will love what you make)
• demonstrate kindness and respect to all members and promote the welfare of members by positively acknowledging their creativity and efforts
• welcome and support new and prospective members
• strengthen GOG through positive communication that adheres to the GOG vision, while raising feedback and constructive ideas with the GOG leadership group
• use resources provided by GOG for creating comfort items for distribution through GOG
• commit to the GOG requirements for cataloguing, safety checks, labelling and distribution of handmade comfort items
• in the context of GOG community stitching for wellness projects, for example GOG Stitching for Mindfulness, Community Threads Project etc, members will:
- respect the privacy of participant confidentiality and where applicable, adhere to the ACT Health Services Volunteer Code of Practice
- represent GOG in a manner that embodies, compassion, integrity, positivity and teamwork. Members will be required to wear clean, neat and tidy attire and use appropriate language.
• honour and respect decisions made by the GOG Committee.